Client: City of Chisinau
Partner: Metroul SA
In 2011 Chişinău, capital city of Moldova, and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development commissioned TTK to carry out a technical study aiming to reorganise Chişinău’s PT system and improve the overall quality of supply which is currently fragmented and managed by many different operators.
The challenge was to find a long term transport strategy not only to move the PT system from competition on the routes to competition for the routes, but also to move to a more regulated public transport market. This strategy was developed by:
- agreeing transport goals with city officials,
- modelling the current and future travel demand in VISUM,
- identifying urgent PT infrastructure and asset needs,
- developing annual investment envelopes for the next 5-10 years,
- developing current accessibility indicators for different population groups and areas,
- setting a policy framework to help to achieve the desired transport outcomes – principles.
a long term implementation, TTK assisted the City in:
Download E-4425 Chisinau
- defining the respective roles of trolleybuses operated by the Company, other standard bus operators and privately owned and operated microbuses,
- setting up the institutional framework of the Chisinau PT sector, including the improved regulation of microbuses,
- establishing an on-going routetendering regime that encourages competition while enabling the City to acquire acceptable safety and environmental standards,
- monitoring the quality of the services provided under the Public Service Contract.